The Independence Center Program
Our independent living style environment provides an ideal opportunity for young adults, whose social maturity is not commensurate with the rest of their development, to experience independent living while they go to work or continue their education.
Independence Center is small enough for staff to maintain a personal relationship with each participant. All aspects of our program are designed to incorporate individual strengths and needs to help develop the skills and resources necessary to minimize reliance on families and to improve quality of life.
The program includes both men and women with a wide range of learning differences and background experiences. A close-knit community. Our onsite skilled, professional staff counsels, instructs and supports clients on:
- Job guidance and placement assistance
- Volunteer work and internships
- Socialization, communication and behavioral skills
- Community living skills
- Problem solving
- Budgeting and money management
- Nutrition, grocery shopping and cooking
- Time management
- Scheduling and keeping appointments
- Adult decision making
- Continuing education